What do I do if my Insurance Policy Does Not Cover Flood Damage?

Your house is so much more than a place you live in. It is a place you have made to your liking, and have perhaps even filled with a pet, a spouse, or children. We grow attached to our homes, almost as if they are part of the family themselves. Nobody ever likes to think about what will happen to their home in the event of a disaster, but the truth is, disasters, such as fires or ferocious storms, happen. The destruction of your home is one of the toughest challenges you may have to face, and this challenge may get even further compounded if your house has been damaged by a flood. Unfortunately, flood insurance rarely covers, or even limits the coverage of water damage. If you are in a situation where your home was severely water damaged and you do not know where to go from here, these are some of the questions you may have: 

Will my insurance policy cover water and flood damage?

There are very few insurers who offer home policies that cover flood damage, and when they do, it is usually extremely expensive. Instead, most standard home insurance policies cover very little flood damage, and sometimes none at all. However, there are certain policies that make exceptions if your house has been damaged by water. Some of these exceptions are:

  • Water damage that occurred because of wind-driven rain, or rain that caused damage through an intrusion
  • If you have a “surplus lines” excess policy that does not exclude flood damage
  • If the water damage was not caused by a flood. (Different  policies may have different definitions of the word, “flood,” so it is important you know exactly how your policy defines a flood
  • If the language of your policy regarding flood damage is vague and unfair

A lot of the time, insurance companies will do whatever they can to deny you of your coverage, so if you think you are being unfairly told that you are not entitled to coverage, it is important you contact an experienced, trustworthy attorney to assess your situation. 

What is an NFIP flood insurance policy?

If your standard policy excludes flood insurance, then you may purchase a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program. If you live in New York City and have a federally-backed mortgage, you will be required to buy flood insurance. NFIP insurance covers up to $250,000 in damage to your home or garage, including clean up services, repair services, debris removal, and removal of mildew, mold, and fungus.

Contact our experienced New York firm

The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered property loss, please contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.