Tips for dealing with an insurance claim
Filing a claim for damage is an overwhelming process. Whether you are a residential claimant or a commercial one, knowing your rights and having effective representation when dealing with an insurance company is in your best interests. The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg has been a legal resource to the people of New York for many years. Through our experience, we have come to see too many individuals taken advantage of by large insurance companies that prey on the emotions of policyholders and the need for many to move past a terrible situation. When you are dealing with insurance companies, be wary, be prepared, and always think like a business person engaged in a business deal. Insurance companies exist to make money and your claim will be subject to many obstacles, including denial of a claim or underpayment of a claim. We thought it best to offer some tips when dealing with insurance companies. As always, when dealing with property damage claims, contact The Law Offices of Craig A. Blumberg for the legal support you need.
When dealing with insurance companies…..
- Be proactive, not reactive: keep good notes related to your claim
- Remember that you are working with a major corporation: Have the legal support you need to ensure your rights are protected.
- Insurance claims are a business negotiation: You are engaging with a for-profit company with a goal to save money any way they legally can.
- Don’t exaggerate or pad your claim.
- Ask for a copy of your insurance policy.
- Let the insurance company do the right thing.
- Do the hard work: support your claim with clear and detailed proof and estimates. When making your requests, explain your needs, your timeline, and your rights to the request.
- Do not sign anything without an attorney’s review and approval
- When trying to resolve problems, do it in writing
Contact our firm
Filing an insurance claim is a significant ordeal. Understanding the language of your policy to handling the adjusters sent to your property can be overwhelming for many. The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg has over 20 years of experience fighting for individuals and businesses impacted by property damage. If you are filing a claim or are already engaged in the process, you need a law firm that can decode your policy and work to ensure that your rights are protected and your life is restored. If you need quality legal representation and support, contact The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg for a consultation.