What do I do if my House was Damaged in a Storm?
Your home is most likely your most important asset. Our homes have sentimental value, and when they are destroyed by mother nature, it can feel as if your life has been swept out from under you. To make matters worse, insurance companies will never make it easy for you to recover the compensation you feel you are entitled to. Whether they short-sell you or refuse to cover you at all, it can be infuriating. This is why one of the most important things you can do is contact an experienced storm damage attorney. If your house has been damaged in the event of a storm, here are some of the questions you may have:
Am I covered if my house is damaged in a storm?
You pay into your home insurance policy because you want to ensure you are covered in the event of a hurricane or severe storm. Naturally, should a heavy storm occur, you expect your insurance to back you up and help get your life back on track. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Insurance companies are a business, and though you hope their priority is your well-being, in actuality, it is their job to make as much money as they can. Insurance companies will find any loophole possible to deny you of your compensation.
For example, if there was water damage to your home, the insurance adjuster may tell you that your policy does not cover the “peril.” However, this is sometimes untrue, because water damage should always be covered under a standard home insurance policy if the water was due to wind-driven rain or entered the home through an opening or intrusion. Some of the most important things for you to consider when filing your claim are as follows:
- Your home’s location in relation to the storm’s path
- Whether your home was damaged by wind-driven rain, another source of water entering your home, or even whether your home was damaged by falling objects, such as trees.
- You must always consider the language of your policy as it pertains to their responsibility following a storm. This language is sometimes misleading or vague to confuse you.
What can I expect from my insurance company?
Insurance companies want to control all payout and save as much money as possible, so you can expect:
- Hostile treatment from a company you thought you trusted
- Rotating adjusters
- Inadequate repair estimates and offers
- Misinformation about your coverage
Contact our experienced New York firm
The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered a property loss, please contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.