How To Deal With Insurance Companies After Experiencing NYC Property Damage
When a property owner is faced with significant damage after a storm, a flood, or even a break-in, they may be overwhelmed by their insurance company. It is important to understand that although the insurance company is technically there to help in times of disaster, they have a tendency to take advantage of individuals who are just trying to pick up the pieces and rebuild. Insurance companies are just like any other business, they need to make a profit. This also might mean that they deny claims that shouldn’t be denied and they underpay the insured for the damage that was sustained.
Here are a few important things to keep in mind when it comes time to deal with the insurance company so you don’t get taken advantage of at a vulnerable time:
- Be sure to keep detailed notes related to the damage and your claim
- Remember that you are working with a major corporation so remain skeptical of their motives
- Don’t exaggerate your claim to ensure it won’t get denied
- Obtain a copy of your insurance policy if you do not currently have one
- Make sure you support your claim with clear and detailed proof and estimates
- Do not sign anything without an attorney’s review and approval
- When trying to resolve problems, do it in writing
If you need legal support when dealing with your insurance company, contact our firm today.
The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered property loss, please contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.