What Happens if My Insurance Policy Doesn’t Cover Flood Damage?

There are few things more frightening, as well as financially devastating than flood damage to your home. If you are someone who has recently experienced significant flood damage, you are most likely considering your legal options going forward. The Law Offices of Craig A. Blumberg is here to help. Please read on and reach out to our experienced New York City legal team to learn more about how we can help you through the process. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Do most insurance policies cover water damage?

Most insurers, unfortunately, do not cover water damage in their home policies. In fact, the few insurers that do offer these policies generally make it very expensive. That being said, there are times where these companies may make exceptions for certain types of water damage, however, you will most likely need an experienced attorney on your side who can help you prove that your situation qualifies for water damage coverage. Some of the exceptions that your insurance company may make for water damage include the following:

  • Water damage that was not caused by a flood.
  • If you can prove that the language used throughout your insurance policy is vague and unfair and that you, therefore, do qualify for coverage under their policy.
  • If you have a “surplus lines” excess policy that does not explicitly exclude flood damage to your home
  • If your house incurred water damage that was a result of “wind-driven rain,” or rain that caused damage through an intrusion.

No matter the circumstances of your specific incident of water damage, you will need a knowledgeable New York City law firm on your side. Fortunately, you have just found that team in the Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg P.C.

What is NFIP?

Many people purchase additional policies through the National Flood Insurance Program when their initial policies do not include flood insurance. That being said, if you have a federally-backed mortgage and are currently living in New York City, you must purchase flood insurance. NFIP will provide coverage for up to $250,000 for damage to your garage or home. This should also cover the cost of repair services, mildew removal, debris removal, and clean up services.

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered a property loss due to a fire, a flood, a severe storm or a robbery, please do not hesitate to contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation. A knowledgeable attorney on your side in your time of need can make all the difference.