What do I need to know about dealing with my insurance company?
The period of time after a property loss can be traumatic for a homeowner, especially if this is a process that they have never gone through before. Not knowing how to deal with insurance companies or even what to expect from them can add to this overwhelming period of time. When an individual doesn’t know how to file a claim or what they should expect. The unfortunate reality is that large insurance companies often try to take advantage of vulnerable individuals that want to file a claim.
Here are a few important tips that are important to know about dealing with insurance companies when you have to file a claim.
- Be proactive, not reactive: keep good notes related to your claim
- Remember that you are working with a major corporation and that they may try to take advantage of you.
- Insurance claims are a business negotiation: You are engaging with a for-profit company with a goal to save money any way they legally can.
- Don’t exaggerate or pad your claim.
- Make sure you have a copy of your insurance policy
- Be prepared to support your claim with clear and detailed proof and estimates. Make sure to take pictures of everything before and after. When making your requests, explain your needs, your timeline, and your rights to the request.
- Make sure your attorney reviews everything you are asked to sign before you sign it
- Resolve all matters in writing to create a paper trail
If you have questions or concerns about filing your claim, contact our firm today.
The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered property loss, please contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.