What Damages Does Renter’s Insurance Cover?

Even if you do not own the property on which you reside, it is still highly recommended that you opt for some sort of insurance coverage. Namely, in New York State, you may purchase renter’s insurance to protect yourself in the unfortunate event of a fire, flood, storm, theft, or other disaster. In any event, you must confirm that you receive the payout to which you are entitled and overall that your insurance provider is not lowballing you. Read on to discover the types of damages that your insurance provider should cover and how a seasoned NY & NJ renter’s insurance claim attorney at The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg can ensure that you are treated fairly.

What types of damages should my landlord cover?

You may assume it unnecessary to purchase a renter’s insurance plan if you can recover damages from your landlord’s insurance. However, this assumption may not be entirely true. This is because your landlord’s insurance specifically covers the rental unit itself; meaning that it does not cover your personal belongings housed within the rental unit.

As an example, say that your rental unit or property itself experiences a fire. Well, your landlord may be responsible for covering any damages to the roof; structural steel or iron; stucco, siding, and concrete; windows; plumbing and heating systems; and interior walls and framing. However, your landlord may not be responsible for replacing your phone or laptop that you left behind when evacuating your rental unit. This is when your personal property coverage must come into play.

What types of damages should my renter’s insurance cover?

Generally, speaking your New York State renter’s insurance policy may cost approximately $300 per year. This investment may afford you approximately $50,000 worth of protection in the event of a disaster. Without further ado, your insurance should cover the following damages after a fire, flood, storm, or act of theft/vandalism:

  • Damaged or stolen home appliances (i.e., your washer and dryer, dishwasher, oven, etc).
  • Damaged or stolen electronics (i.e., your televisions, computers, etc).
  • Damaged or stolen furniture (i.e., your couches, beds, etc).
  • Damaged or stolen clothing (i.e., shoes, handbags, etc).

It is worth mentioning that high-value personal items, such as jewelry, antiques, and other collectibles, may not be entirely covered by your renter’s insurance policy. This may be because such belongings may be worth more than your policy’s allotted coverage. With this, it may be in your best interest to tack on additional insurance plans for such belongings.

In conclusion, you require the services of a competent New York renter’s insurance claim attorney before petitioning for recovery. So please schedule your initial consultation with us at The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg today.