Filing a Residential Damage Property Claim

If your property was recently damaged or stolen, you are most likely depending on your insurance company to cover the cost. However, unfortunately, insurance companies are a business, and they tend to see your disaster as just another business transaction. This is where our firm can step in and help. Read on to learn more about what we can do for you.

What is property insurance?

People purchase property insurance so their homes are protected, should disaster strike. Several different policies exist for specific situations and types of homes. Additionally, you can also get property insurance for your automobile or business.

What types of damage does property insurance cover?

  • Storms: Storms, or heavy winds, can wreak tremendous havoc, and if your house is destroyed in a storm or hurricane, there is a very good chance you are depending on your insurance policy to pull you through. When you file your claim, you must know the location of your home relative to the storm, what specifically caused the damage, such as winds or falling debris, and the specific terminology your insurance plan uses.
  • Water or Flood Damage: Many insurance policies simply do not cover water damage to a home. Either that, or they make water-related damage coverage way too expensive for the average family to afford. However, there are certain exceptions. For example, if the water damage was not caused by a flood, or if the damage occurred because of wind-driven rain/rain that caused damage through intrusion, your insurance policy may have you covered. Additionally, if your policy’s language regarding flood damage is unclear or if you have a “surplus lines” excess policy that does not exclude flood damage, you may also be covered that way.
  • Theft: Certain policies will cover assets lost in a burglary up to a certain amount. Burglaries are one of the worst ways to lose what’s yours, so you must hire an attorney who can help replace the maximum amount of property stolen.
  • Fires: A “partial loss” is the term insurance policies use to describe when your house is burned, but not completely destroyed in a fire. However, this can still feel like way more than a “partial loss” to the family who needs their house to be habitable. Insurance companies must investigate all the damages, including any hidden damages, to the house.

What should I do if my home or property has been damaged?

Unfortunately, thanks to the vague, non-specific language often found in insurance policies, they may try and tell you that you do not technically fall under their policy coverage. Fortunately, our firm knows the ins and outs of the often-convoluted insurance policies that so often try and take advantage of their clients. If you are in need of an experienced attorney, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm.

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered a property loss due to a fire, a flood, a severe storm or a robbery, please do not hesitate to contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation. A knowledgeable attorney on your side in your time of need can make all the difference.