What should I ask when I buy homeowners insurance?
Purchasing homeowners insurance is often very overwhelming, especially for first-time homeowners. Before making the decision regarding which company you plan to purchase homeowners insurance from, it is important to shop around and ask a lot of questions. Some of the questions that might be important to ask the insurance companies you are considering include:
- Are there any discounts available for higher deductibles, smoke detectors, laminated glass, hurricane shutters, or sprinker systems?
- Are there any deductibles available in my area for windstorms or hurricanes?
- Does our home’s proximity to the fire department impact the insurance rate?
- How does the type of construction impact my insurance rates?
- What is covered in the policy and what is not covered?
- What is umbrella coverage and will it result in a discount on my homeowners insurance?
- Do I need additional insurance such as flood coverage because of the location of my home?
When shopping around for insurance, you may want to consider checking out a few different options. Of course, insurance companies are always going to try and make a profit in some way so it is important to make sure you are not being taken advantage of. If you have questions about the legal aspects of homeowners insurance, contact our firm today.
The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered property loss, please contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.