What to Know About New York Residential Theft or Vandalism Insurance Claims

Most homeowner insurance policies will cover theft and vandalism, but only up to a certain amount. Suppose the full extent of your loss from a burglary or vandalization is not compensated for. In that case, it is important that you reach out to one of the experienced New York residential theft insurance claim attorneys at The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg P.C. who will help you protect your rights through the claims process.

Does my homeowner insurance policy cover damages for theft or vandalism?

Most homeowner insurance policies have limits to how much they will pay. With that, you may be subject to the following conditions:

  • Your coverage may not cover the loss of items that were stolen or destroyed that were not specifically identified in your policy.
  • Your coverage may be subject to deductibles, so your loss must exceed your deductible amount before the coverage is triggered.
  • Your coverage may set specific item or category coverage limits on more valuable items, no matter their actual worth.

Therefore, it is important that you carefully review your policy if you are the victim of theft or vandalism of your home.

Do I need to purchase additional coverage?

Typically in New York, personal property on your premises is insured for 50%, which translates to the amount you are provided by insurers. So, you may need to purchase additional coverage if you are subject to such coverage limits. The following are types of property that generally have further limitations to coverage:

  • $200 for money, banknotes, and gold and silver.
  • $1,500 for jewelry, watches, and precious and semi-precious stones.
  • $2,500 for silverware, silverplate-ware, goldware, and pewterware.
  • $2,500 for guns.
  • $1,500 for electronic apparatus, such as antennas, tapes, wires, and discs, in or on a motor vehicle.

What should I do after a burglary or vandalism?

If your home has been robbed or vandalized, you should immediately call 911. The authorities will complete a police report that will prove to your homeowner insurance company that you were robbed or vandalized. Additionally, you should document what items were stolen, and also collect proof that you were the owner of said items. Importantly, you should retain the services of one of the skilled New York residential property damage claim attorneys who will protect you from your insurance company’s possible attempts to pay less.

Contact our experienced New York City firm

The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered a property loss due to a fire, a flood, a severe storm or a robbery, please do not hesitate to contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation. A knowledgeable attorney on your side in your time of need can make all the difference.