What Happens When My Property Is Damaged by a Neighboring Property?

The damage that you incurred on your property can be a devastating thing to cope with. But what makes matters worse is if this damage was caused by a neighboring property. Rest assured, there is still a way in which you can recover your damages. Read on to discover what happens when your property is damaged by a neighboring property and how one of the seasoned New York third party claim attorneys at Craig Blumberg can point you in the right direction.

What are instances in which a neighboring property would cause damage to my property?

At initial thought, you may believe it to be impossible for an issue on your neighbor’s property to affect yours. However, this risk may be more prominent than you realize. Examples of instances in which a neighboring property would cause damage to your property are as follows:

  • Your neighbor’s property is experiencing a fire and it has spread onto your property.
  • Your neighbor’s property is experiencing a broken pipe or faulty plumbing that is running off onto your property.
  • Your neighbor’s property is experiencing a construction accident that affects your property.
  • Your neighbor’s property has a falling tree that lands on your property (i.e., fence damage, roof damage, window damage, etc).
  • The tree on your neighbor’s tree is overgrown and its roots are causing pavement damage on your property.
  •  The children or pets of your neighbor are left unsupervised and are causing damage on your property (i.e., broken windows, landscaping damage, etc).

What should I do when my property is damaged by another’s property?

First and foremost, when you incur damage on your property, you should file an insurance claim. Though, more often than not, your insurance company will not want to cover a loss that was caused by a neighboring property owner. So, this is when you should turn to your neighbor and ask them to reimburse you for the damages. This can be done by sending a registered letter explaining the damage that occurred and the amount of compensation you are requesting.

If your neighbor remains uncooperative, then you should pursue legal action and file a third-party claim. With this, you will need to file evidence such as witness statements, photographs, videos, and police reports, among other things. You will also need to claim specific damages that you need to recover, such as repair bills, medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.

You should not have to go through your third-party claim proceedings alone. So, we recommend that you retain the legal services of one of the competent New York property damage attorneys right away. We look forward to working with you.