What Happens if my Home is Damaged in a Storm?
If your home has recently been damaged in a storm, there is a very good chance that you are now depending on your insurance company for financial assistance. Unfortunately, insurance companies do not always provide the assistance people need, and if this has happened to you, you must continue reading and reach out to our experienced New York City insurance claim attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you.
How do I know if my insurance covers storm-related damage to my home?
If you are a homeowner, you have insurance, and you pay into your insurance regularly to help ensure that you are covered, should anything happen to your home. Many people’s insurance policies cover hurricane or storm-related damage–or so they say. Unfortunately, oftentimes, insurance companies will do anything in their power to deny you the compensation you need using loopholes and other underhanded tactics.
Oftentimes, when someone’s home receives water damage, insurance companies will simply tell them that their policy does not cover the peril. That being said, you should note that frequently, this is simply untrue. In many cases, as long as you can prove that the water damage was due to wind-driven rain, or that the water entered the home through an opening or intrusion, there is a very good chance that you will, in fact, qualify for compensation. This is just one example, and if you are ready to file a claim for storm-related damage to your home, you should consider the following factors:
- Where your home is located in relation to the storm’s path
- What damaged your home–was it falling debris, such as a tree? How did the water get into your home?
- You also have to closely read the language of your policy, as oftentimes, insurance companies will purposefully use vague, ambiguous language to make you think that the incident is not covered when, in actuality, it is. This is part of the reason why you need an experienced insurance claims attorney on your side who can help ensure you receive every bit of compensation you deserve and need.
Insurance companies use various tactics to deter you from receiving adequate compensation after storm-related damage, including the following:
- Insufficient repair estimates and offers
- Misinformation regarding your coverage
- Hostile treatment
- Rotating adjusters
Our firm is here to fight, tooth-and-nail, for your rights. Give our knowledgeable New York City insurance claim attorneys a call today.
Contact our experienced New York City firm
The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered a property loss due to a fire, a flood, a severe storm, or a robbery, please do not hesitate to contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation. A knowledgeable attorney on your side in your time of need can make all the difference.