What happens if my home is broken into?

One of the most traumatic things that can happen to a homeowner is when their home is broken into and items are stolen. Luckily, insurance policies exist to help homeowners when they have become the victim of a break-in. However, it is important for homeowners to take a close look at their insurance policies after their home is broken into so they have an idea of what their policy covers. Unless additional insurance has been purchased, the possibility exists that not all of your personal belongings will be covered under your policy. Of course, money from an insurance company can’t replace the sentimental belongings you may have lost or remedy the trauma you have faced, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.

If your home is broken into, you may also be facing structural damage from the break-in itself. Perhaps a window was broken or a door was smashed in. Regardless, you will also need to replace these items. These should be covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy. If you believe that your insurance company is not quoting you the correct amount of money when you inform them of the break-in, you may want to consult with a public adjuster who can verify the costs and what you are rightfully owed.

If you need legal assistance after your property has been damaged, you should consult with an experienced insurance law attorney who can help you determine the appropriate measures to take.

The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered property loss, please contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.