What documents do I need to apply for FEMA assistance?

When you have been the victim of a disaster, you may wonder what your next move is. If your home has been damaged, you may want to apply for federal government assistance. There are a lot of different programs that can help you when you are experiencing this difficult time. If you qualify for assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency, it is important that you follow the necessary steps to get the assistance you need.

Hopefully, none of your important documentation was damaged in the event. You will need to have a lot of information about a number of topics that can help you obtain assistance. You should have the following documents on hand for any assistance application:

  • Social Security Number
  • Information about the damage to your home or vehicle
  • Financial information such as combined household income before the disaster took place
  • Phone number and address of the location of the damage
  • Phone number of where you can be reached after the damage took place (if you can’t go back home)

After your application has been approved, if it gets approved, you may also want to consider providing FEMA with information about your bank account so you can have the funds directly deposited into your account.

If you need legal help with your insurance after a disaster, please contact our firm today.

The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered property loss, please contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.