Beware of Christmas Tree Fires
Many people who are getting into the holiday spirit decide that they want to purchase a real Christmas tree. As exciting as this time of year is, it is important to be aware of the dangers of having a real Christmas tree in your home. Unfortunately, Christmas trees have a tendency to ignite in flames, causing terrible destruction to the homes that they happen in. The National Fire Prevention Association released statistics regarding Christmas tree fires that occurred between 2011 and 2015. The results are as follows:
- Each year, there were an average of 200 house fires started because of Christmas trees
- These fires resulted in 6 deaths, 16 injuries, and $14.8 million in property damage on average each year
- 42 percent of these fires took place in the month of December
- 24 percent of Christmas tree fires were started intentionally
- 40 percent of Christmas tree fires occurred due to faulty electrical distribution or lights
It is important to make sure that if you have a Christmas tree in your home, you take safety precautions to avoid a disaster. If your home is damaged due to a Christmas tree fire, your insurance company will give you a quote on damage costs. If you believe your insurance company has given you a bad estimate, contact our firm today.
The Law Office of Craig A. Blumberg is an experienced New York City insurance law firm. If you require quality assistance after having suffered property loss, please contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.